02 Nov 16
Surfing has been a sport in Noosa since around the 1950’s, I can recall as a young child, making the 5 hour journey from Brisbane by car, past Mount Tiprogargan, the scariest mountain in the world that I know, we would arrive in Noosa down the Noosa Hill dirt road, park the car, and play on the beach. Dad was a weekend surf lifesaver at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast, but once a month we made the arduous trip to Noosa, to get away from the crowds, funny really.
So back then when I was 5, every month we came up the coast and down that big hill into Hastings Street. Dad knew the lifesavers at Noosa Surf Life Saving Club, back in those days, clubbies were like that, and they knew everyone from here to Byron. So we would walk to the points and watch the men surf big old heavy fibreglass long boards, short boards weren’t invented. We’d sleep in the club house, or at some family’s house, who was kind enough to put up our family of 6. Kids didn’t have boards in those days, we had surf mats, and we were pretty good on them too I may say.
After many years away from Noosa we started to migrate back to the place where my parents had their honeymoon, and we all started surfing Noosa again, surf mats, boogie boards, short boards, and a yacht, we were a family that always played on the water. Sailing off Melbourne was fun, but living in Noosa won over as the water is warm and sailing and fishing is far better as well.
- Noosa Hill Accommodation
- Hastings Street Accommodation
- Sunshine & Southern Beaches
- Little Cove Accommodation
- Noosa Waters Accommodation
- Noosaville Accommodation
- Noosa Sound Accommodation
- Noosa Heads Accommodation
Latest News & Events
- 19 Jun 17
- There is always a Festival of some sort happening in Noosa and June is no exception with the NOOSA FESTIVAL OF WATER happening... read more
- 15 May 17
- NOOSA MARKETS! Do you enjoy a lazy stroll through the usual Sunday markets? Well Noosa is the place for you! We... read more
- 09 May 17
- Noosa's Most Famous Mountain. Have you ever driven around Noosa or been down on the Noosa River or perhaps playing with... read more
- 28 Apr 17
- Calling all Golfers There are four golf courses in Noosa with at least another dozen within a 45 minute drive from... read more